Tuesday 24 February 2015

Some writing


1.

A man and a woman occupy a sparse, grey cell. They are asleep on two beds, placed at either end of the room. A lion rests in the corner.

Life disturbs the mans face. A few seconds pass. His eyes lift open.

Guy:
“whha” 

The sound has a tone of questioning. He rises to a sit, and stares with slack expression at the wall. A few minutes pass. The mans face tightens, and his head leans to the side.

Guy:
“Am I dead?”

The wall gives nothing away.

Guy:
”Yeah?”

The wall remains silent.

(Pause)

Guy: 
“Well fuck you then!”

The wall is unmoved. The conversation disturbs the girl across the room. A sharp intake of breath follows, as she rushes to a seated position on the side of the bed. Her eyes are wide and a smile is present, before it realises it has no reason to be there and leaves in a hurry. Her eyes fix on the other human.

Girl:
“Where am I?”

Guy:
(Turning with surprise) “Oh.” (Pause) “Hello.”

Girl:
(Looking around) “Where am I?”

Guy:
(shrugs) “I dunno.”

Girl:
(sharply) “For fucks sake.”

The girl goes for the door. It’s locked. She thumps it a few times. Theres nothing there.

The man turns to the wall. 

Guy:
“Maybe we’re dead.”

The girl looks at him. Her mouth is slightly open and her eyes narrow a little. She says nothing.

Guy: 
“Maybe it’s like that thing between-“ (turns) “what?”

Girl:
“What happened?”

Guy:
“I don’t know.”

Pause.

Girl:
(impatiently) “I want to go.”

Guy:
“Yeah...”

Girl:
“Yes.”

The man shrugs again. The girl thumps the door. Silence. 

The girl returns to her bed.

Guy:
“Probably be here in a sec.”

Girl:
“I fucking hope so. What were we doing?”

There is a long pause. Thinking happens. Something is found.

Guy:
“Party.”

Girl:
“Party.”

Silence.

Girl:
“Yeah.” (pause) “It was shit.”

Guy:
“Can’t have been that shit.”

Pause.

Girl:
“I left.”

Pause.

Guy:
“I left too.”

Silence.

Guy:
“What were you drinking?”

Girl:
“Everything.”

Guy:
“Why?”

Girl:
“I was tired.”

Long pause.

Guy:
“Why were you tired?”

Girl:
“My arms hurt.”

Guy:
”Why did your arms hurt?”

Girl:
“Some guy wouldn’t stop asking me stupid questions so I smashed his head against a wall until he shut up.”

Silence.

Guy:
“I was only asking.”

Girl:
“Eh?”

More silence. The girl looks over at the door. The man looks at the floor. The wall stands awkwardly.

Girl:
“Did we do something wrong?”

The man looks up. He shrugs.

Girl:
“I bet it was your fault.”

Guy:
(hurt) “Why?”

Girl:
”You look shifty.”

Guy:
(still hurt) “Cheers.” (pause) “Maybe I’d prefer it if we didn’t talk.”

Girl:
“Ok.”

A few minutes pass. Theres no sign of life beyond the door.

Guy:
“Maybe they forgot about us.”

Girl:
(considering) “Maybe. I watched a documentary about it.”

Guy:
“About what?”

Girl:
“This.”

Guy:
“What happened?”

Girl:
“Somebody got left in a police cell. They were in there for three weeks.”

Guy:
“Jesus. What happened to them?”

Girl:
“They died.”

(Pause)

Guy:
“Right.”

(Another Pause)

Girl:
“It was in America though.”

Guy:
“Oh.”

There is a long period of silence. The girl thinks about trying to lighten the mood. The man wonders if he’s still sleeping.

The wall wishes it was somewhere else.



No comments:

Post a Comment